Tim and I spent the weekend with my family. There was plenty of family, gifts, and of course, food. Tis the season for cooking, eating, and gathering around meals.
Now, we all have our favorite recipes that often only get made this time of year, but it’s also nice to try something new and seasonal. If it’s easy to make, that’s even better!
This cranberry pie recipe became an instant classic after my mom got it from a friend a few years ago, and is now part of our regular rotation. It’s made with fresh, tart cranberries so it’s perfect for the season and is especially good with vanilla ice cream.
I actually made this pie twice on Saturday, but it’s a snap to bake mainly because it doesn’t require a pie crust. You simply pour a bag of fresh cranberries in a pie pan, sprinkle with a mixture of walnuts and sugar, then pour a batter over the top and bake. The batter sinks down and creates both a crisp topping and holds the fruit together. It’s kind of like a cranberry cobbler and is so very good. I promise it will vanish quickly!
A few pointers. Use the deepest pie pan you have. If yours is not very deep, you make have some crust overflow so bake this with a foil lined cookie sheet underneath just in case. Also, butter the pan liberally. This pie tends to stick. It’s best served warm with ice cream. Mmmmm.
2 cups fresh cranberries
1 cup chopped walnuts (Even if I buy chopped walnuts, I chop them a bit smaller)
1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
1 cup flour
1. Preheat oven to 325 F. Liberally grease a deep 10″ pie pan. Rinse the fresh cranberries and discard any soft or shriveled berries. Pour them right into the greased pan (seriously, no crust needed)
2. Mix the walnuts and 1/2 cup of sugar. Sprinkle evenly over the cranberries.
3. Mix the remaining 1 cup of sugar, the flour, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Mix until well blended and fairly smooth. Pour over the sugared berries.
4. Bake 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs.
5. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream. (Can be made in advance and reheated briefly just before serving.)