I am an equal opportunity dessert fanatic. Pies, cookies, cakes, brownies – all good in my book. Fruit and chocolate are equally welcome. Well, usually. The exception is when I’m stressed. Sometimes you have weeks so ridiculously bad that the only solution is lots of dark chocolate, and last week was one of those weeks. So I had to break out the Chocolate Brownie Trifle. And life got better. With layers of brownies, chocolate mousse, caramel, and whipped cream, how could it not?
*Be forewarned: This trifle isn’t exactly photogenic. But it does have superpowers when it comes to making stressful weeks better.
- brownie mix for a 9x13 pan, baked according to box directions
- 6 oz dark chocolate (70% cacao or higher)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 tbs. butter
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 1/2 tbs. boiling water
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce
- dark cocoa powder, for dusting
- Make the brownie mix according to the directions on the box. Set the brownies aside to cool.
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate, milk, and butter. Stir them until combined, and then set the chocolate mixture aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks. Add 1/4 cup of the sugar, and continue beating until the yolks are pale yellow. While the beaters are running, add the vanilla and boiling water. Then, beat in the cooled chocolate mixture until everything is evenly blended. Wash and dry the beaters.
- Using the clean beaters, beat the egg whites in a medium-sized bowl until soft peaks form. Then, beat in the remaining 1/4 cup sugar until stiff peaks form. Wash and dry the beaters.
- With a spatula, fold a third of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Then fold in the remaining egg whites.
- In a separate bowl, beat 1 cup of the whipping cream with the clean beaters until soft peaks form. (Don't overbeat, or the mousse will be grainy!) Fold the whipping cream into the chocolate mixture, stirring until combined. Refrigerate.
- Beat the remaining 2 cups of cream until soft peaks form.
- Break up the brownies into 2-inch pieces. In a large glass bowl, layer the brownies, chocolate mousse, caramel, and whipped cream, repeating twice. Dust the top of the trifle with the dark cocoa powder. Enjoy!