Amy and I have been even busier than usual lately so our posts have been less frequent. But even more than being busy, is what we’ve been cooking. We been making our own posts!
That is one plight of the food blogger that we had not realized. And honestly it took over two years to get to this place, but we’ve shared pretty much all of our back pocket meals in addition to the fun new discoveries, so now we have to speed up the pace of the new discoveries! We don’t want to share any old thing. We started this blog to share recipes we LOVE with our family, friends, and readers far and wide. We eat everything we post and we only post things that we truly loved to eat. This means that when our lives get busy, it is harder to have new recipes to share. That said, we will strive to find new, delicious things.
Thankfully these brownies certainly fit the bill. They are truly delicious! To make them I combined an easy homemade brownie mix from Fake-It Frugal. This is my go to now since it literally only takes seconds longer than using a store mix and makes the perfect fudgey brownie. I also added a handful of chopped dark chocolate and a swirl of salted caramel, because both are yummy. I recently discovered this super easy homemade salted caramel sauce that you make in the microwave from Cookie and Cups. You can make it in ten minutes and then you will want to put it on everything. Thankfully, you’ll have plenty left over!
Also, forgive me for these photos. These were shot with an iPhone out of sheer necessity. I forgot until I had this partially styled that my husband had taken the camera. Oops. I didn’t want to deprive you of this recipe, so I forged on. Hope you enjoy them!
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips
- For the Caramel Sauce
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9x9 baking pan and set aside.
- To make the caramel sauce: combine the butter, brown sugar, and heavy cream in a large microwave safe container. This container should hold at least 4 cups. Whisk until no lumps remain.
- Microwave for 2 minutes, then stir. Microwave for more minutes. It will bubble vigorously and start to thicken. Stir in 1/2 tsp vanilla and kosher salt. Set aside to cool. It will thicken as it cools
- While it is cooling, make the brownie base. Combine the sugar, flour, baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt in a large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add eggs, canola oil, and 1 tsp vanilla. Mix until well combined. Stir in chocolate pieces.
- Pour into the prepared baking pan. Add dollops of the salted caramel sauce on top and swirl very lightly with a knife. You don't want to over mix.
- Bake at 350 F for 20-30 minutes until a toothpick in the center comes out mostly clean.